Understanding Karma

over 8 years ago
raani's photo

Maharaani (raani)

150 posts

Karma means action, work or deed however it can also refer to the spiritual principle of cause and effect where an individuals actions or intentions effects the future of the individual.

In essence of you live your life with good intentions and actions through good deeds you are contributing to your future happiness. On the other side if you live your life through bad intentions and deeds this will contribute to future hardship in your life. These consequences of both good and bad actions can come back to you in the form of good and bad material, moral or emotional ways.

The theory of Karma first came about in ancient India and it is found as a key concept for many religions predominate in Asia – Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Taoism and Jainism. However you do not have to be religious to believe in Karma, all you have to do is live your life with positivity to yourself and others. If you see someone struggling with bags or a pushchair offer help etc in your everyday life you will come across situations where you can either carry on with your day or stop for a minuet or two take action and be on your way but with the added of bonus of putting positive karma out into the world.

Karma and causality are very much linked and one of the earliest association of Karma to causality that can be found occurs in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad of Hinduism from the 7th Century BC.

Now as a man is like this or like that, according as he acts and according as he behaves, so will he be; a man of good acts will become good, a man of bad acts, bad; he becomes pure by pure deeds, bad by bad deeds;

And here they say that a person consists of desires, and as is his desire, so is his will; and as is his will, so is his deed; and whatever deed he does, that he will reap.

BCE18[19]

I find this above passage explains it extremely clearly and I find it amazing that it is still relevant today after 2500 years!

I will continue this article in the coming weeks, thank you for reading and please feel free to share you thoughts below.

x

over 8 years ago
raani's photo

Maharaani (raani)

150 posts

To Be Continued in the next few days, please feel free to share you thoughts :) x

over 8 years ago

Excellent article Maharaani

Blessings to you for having shared such.

over 8 years ago
raani's photo

Maharaani (raani)

150 posts

Thank You, I am glad you enjoyed the article :)